Monday, July 22, 2013

Baby Gourmet: Frozen homemade food.


I have always been a fan of fresh food made from scratch. With my firstborn, I made decadent baby purées worthy of multiple Michelin stars. Mashed Potatoes cooked in a Veal Rosemary Garlic Reduction topped with a dollop of Creme Fraiche, or Caramelized Sweet Potato Risotto with Baby Carrot shavings (for presentation purposes) were among her favorites. I was spending so much time in the kitchen preparing her baby food, that I ended up ordering take-out every night for dinner for my hubby and I. And to take the level of crazy up a notch, I would feed her these fine delicacies with a Tiffany silver spoon (with her name engraved on it) which she got as a Christening gift.
This is what I like to call my First-Time-Mom-Psychosis phase. 

With my secondborn, I got realistic. I'm still adamant about homemade food, but I have streamlined my food preparation processes, big time.  I prepare large batches of assorted purées which I freeze individually and then defrost as needed. I stock up the freezer every two weeks. 

Select an assortment of fresh veggies, meat, or fruits. Wash, peel, and chop them up in big chunks.   

Steam everything in groups. Veggies, fruits, and meats.  Then puree each item separately. Apples with apples, potatos with potatoes. Store it in ice cubes or in individual plastic cups. I like to use plastic shot glasses.  Label and freeze. They keep for months. 

Defrost in the microwave. Here I mixed chicken, red bell pepper, and broccoli. 


Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment