Sunday, August 4, 2013

How to Take Great Children's Portraits


Are you a Mamarazzi? Professional Mom, Hobby Paparazzi?
Admit it. You know who you are. Baby's first smile? Click. Baby made a mess with his food? Click. Click. Click. Baby's first Halloween in a ridiculously cute bunny outfit? CliCliCliCliCliClick. 

I love taking pictures of my kids. I take thousands of photos of them per year. The selection process is time-consuming and I always wonder how the pro's do it so well, so consistently.

I met with professional photographer and mom Laurie Sermos.  She gave me some great tips on the best ways to photograph children.  Her interview and great samples of her work below:

TATE: What is the one photo you saw in your life that inspired you to become a photographer?

LAURIE: My family had a subscription to National Geographic Magazine. A photo which left an impression on me is the famous photo from Steve McCurry of an afghan girl with a headscarf. That is my earliest memory of someone else's photograph that really stood out in my mind.

As far as photographic experience, when I was 8 years old, I had a polaroid Sun 600 camera.  I took photographs in my backyard in New Jersey, of a creek we had behind our house. That was the first time I had the feeling of being alone with a camera and having creative energy, seeing the Polaroid and feeling like I had captured something.

TATE: You've taught photography courses at universities in the United States and in Italy.  What is the most common mistake your students make?

LAURIE: It's really common for young photo students to photograph stray cats, which is funny but annoying.  I help them to find subject matter that goes beyond the surface, and start seeing something in their own way. I help them find their unique voice. It's not necessarily technical problems, but the subject matter that they choose.

TATE: My children are my stray cats.  Shameful but true.
So I know you are not a paparazza, but have you taken celebrity portraits and who was your favorite?

LAURIE: I photographed Martin Scorcese for the National Film School in Denmark. We shot it in NY at his office in Midtown.  He was so down to earth, relaxed, and even though he is this amazing director, he didn't try to to tell me what to do.  Which I thought was very professional.

TATE: Let's talk about secrets for hobby photographers and the Mamarazzi.
Let's say I want to make a portrait of my children that is good enough to hang on the wall, and I don't have a fancy camera.  What should I consider?

LAURIE: The camera isn't everything. You can take great pictures with your phone as well.
Here are three things to consider:

  • Lighting: soft and flattering for children.  Lighting is really important because it's how we articulate the subject, like the way a writer uses words to describe something. Shooting under full sun or hash lighting is less flattering on a subject's face. If you have a harsh shadow you see less of the features.  I recommend shooting in the shade, because it's softer, which is especially flattering for children and they are not squinting trying to look at the camera. In general, I don't use a flash, unless the sun is behind the subject. If you were on vacation with a beach sunset behind you, that would be a good time to use the flash (especially the Fill Flash function) on your camera. On many cameras, the Fill Flash looks like a little lightning bolt, but not auto.

  • Subjects and their expression: shoot a lot of pictures, so you can catch a variety of expressions. To get some shots, you will see 20-30 pictures on my Iphone of the same set up.  Another tip, it's important to be on the same level as your kid. Instead of standing above them and taking their picture, it's better to get right down with them, and get level with their viewpoint.

  • Composition and environment of the photo: simple but sweet spots. Create a situation which is conducive to getting a good photo. For example, choose a nice backdrop with soft lighting (shadowy), like under a tree at the park, and let your kids play there.  In the image here (below), I noticed this fence weeks before and kept it in mind for my next family shoot.  We put little Henry in there, and let him do his natural thing.




TATE: Natural or Posed?
LAURIE: Naturally posed!

TATE: So you control the environment, but let the kids be themselves.  In my mind, a portrait of a kid looking straight at the camera like a deer in headlights with a frozen smile is very awkward and dated.  It reminds me of the  90s.

What about the clothes?

LAURIE: Something that looks timeless, without graphics. Solids or stripes or nice patterns look great. Think classic, simple. Barefeet are always nice.

TATE: So no Sponge Bob T-Shirts?

LAURIE: Right! Big text logos and graphics are distracting and won't look good in time.  Pay attention to what else is in the frame. Minimize other people behind you, if you are outside. If you are at home, avoid clutter and your TV, because it's a distraction from the subject.  Find an interesting backdrop, a quiet place in the park, or for a baby find a patterned blanket on the floor, and shoot from overhead.  Less is more!


Most of all, be relaxed and don't worry too much about if your child is paying attention to the camera. It's more fun when you capture them without making it stressful.  Enjoy!

For more family portrait ideas, go to Laurie's website: www.lauriesermos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment