Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Once Upon a Time in Summer

Look at me, I look so happy.  

This series of photos were taken in July by my photographer friend Laurie Sermos.  It was my first ever fashion photoshoot, I had just launched my blog, and I was about to spend 1 month in France with my family, where I'd be fulfilling one of the top items on my bucket list: to practice french and learn french cooking in Paris.  I was feeling ecstatic and on top of the world. And did I mention, the sun was shining?  

I generally do not "stage" the photos for my blog.  If I happen to like my outfit, then I ask my husband to photograph it wherever we are.  But on this day, I thought I'd make an extra effort as a real talented and professional photographer would be taking the photos.  (Sorry husband, no ofense). 

This what you see below, was not the outfit I had planned on wearing.  The outfit was going to be a glamorous bright canary-yellow cape dress, with satin grass-green platforms and bold jewelry.  In my head, it was to be an epic editorial fashion moment.  But as luck would have it, due to street repairs, the water and electricity was shut-off on my building and every building down the block for the whole day - in other words, no iron, no shower.  The aforementioned dress was a crumple of wrinkles, and my hair a greasy hot-mess.  It was disastrous.  I thought, if only I can have my morning coffee I'll be able to think straight and come up with a solution.  Next thing I read at the downstairs coffee-shop: "Kein Wasser, Kein Kaffee" ("No water, No Coffee").  Wonderful.

Laurie Sermos arrived, and she politely took the first set of photos in my wrinkly yellow dress and head-turban (to solve the dirty-hair problem, I had my hair covered with a scarf, turban-style).  I kind of looked like a NYC taxi driver.  It was quite an embarrassing first photo shoot.

Afterwards, we decided to just go out for a walk in one of my normal outfits, and do some spontaneous shots on the street.  I was feeling more in my element, and I love the way the photos turned out.  Lesson  learned: I am not Grace Coddington, I am not Olivia Palermo, stick to what you know, and wash your hair a bit more often.

I leave you with a quote from Rachel Zoe:
"Style is a way to say who we are without having to speak."

TOP: Adolfo Dominguez
JEANS: ACNE
SHOES: TJ Maxx
HAT: Preston & York
BAG: Gucci
BRACELETS: TJ Maxx
JINGLE RING: Ina Beissner
PLAIN RING: Ralph Lauren
SUNGLASSES: Tom Ford





Laurie Sermos in her element.  Check out her awesome work on her website: www.lauriesermos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment